Welcome to Crest Immigration Services Inc.

Tel / WhatsApp
Contact Time

Mon-Sat: 9.00-18.00

Your Guide to the Federal Skilled Trades Program

May 31, 2021BY Crest Immigration

Are you a mechanic or electrician? How about a chef or baker? Do you have experience in construction? With Canada set to make massive investments in infrastructure, there will be an estimated shortage of 250,000 individuals in the construction industry alone. There is no better time to immigrate to Canada than now. If you’re a tradesperson looking for an opportunity to become a Canadian permanent resident and work in Canada, look no further! The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for workers who want to become permanent residents based on their qualifications in a skilled trade.

Minimum Requirements

To be successful under this program, you must:

  • Meet the required language levels for each ability:
    • Writing
    • Reading
    • Listening
    • Speaking
  • Have at least two years of full-time work experience, or an equal amount of part-time work experience, in a skilled trade within the last five years before applying.
  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as laid out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
  • Have a valid full-time job offer for at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or federal authority.

Skilled Work Experience 

Skilled trades include occupations such as electricians, welders, glaziers, plumbers, carpenters, automotive service technicians, boilermakers, cook, and bakers, among others. These occupations are placed under the below categories of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers

You must demonstrate that you carried out the duties set out in the lead statemenof the occupational description in the NOC, including all essential functions and most of the secondary duties listed.

Job Offer or Certificate of Qualification

It is generally not easy to get a job offer while you are outside of Canada because most employers in Canada prefer those who are already here. However, the government understands this situation and that is why they created an alternative, a certificate of qualification from a provincial or federal authority.

Basically, a certificate of qualification from a Canadian authority means that the province or the federal government has recognized your training and work experience in a trade as being equivalent to Canadian training and work experience in that trade. Therefore, with a certificate of qualification in your hand, you will not be required to have a job offer in Canada before applying for permanent residence under this program.


There is no educational requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. However, a higher level of education beyond the secondary or high school level will increase your rank in the Express Entry pool.

Language Ability

To demonstrate language ability, you must meet the minimum score of 5 for speaking and listening, and a minimum score of 4 for reading and writing on the Canadian Language Benchmark.

To learn more about this program and how you can get started, contact David Akinmoluwa at +1-(587)-974-8942 or info@crestimmigration.ca.

Share this...
Share on twitter
Share on facebook