Welcome to Crest Immigration Services Inc.

Tel / WhatsApp
Contact Time

Mon-Sat: 9.00-18.00

Understanding the Federal Skilled Workers Program

Canada is always on the lookout for self-motivated, experienced, driven individuals. If you aren’t a tradesperson and are looking to immigrate and work in Canada, you’ve got options. A large number of Canadians retire annually, creating more space in the labour market. Whether you’re a retail manager or a doctor, we’d love to have you! Federal Skilled Workers are foreign nationals with specific occupational skills who are issued permanent residence visas based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. Do you think you fit the bill? Keep reading to find out!

Minimum Requirements

  • Skilled work experience
  • Language eligibility
  • Education

If you fulfill all the minimum requirements, the Government of Canada will assess your application based on:

  • Age
  • Education
  • Work experience
  • Whether you have a valid employment offer
  • English and/or French language proficiency
  • Adaptability

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to evaluate eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points based on how well you perform in each of these categories.

The current mark to pass is 67 points. Once you’re in the Express Entry pool, a different system is used to score your profile – the Comprehensive Ranking System tool. The highest-ranking candidates from this group are invited to apply for permanent residence.

Skilled Work Experience

Skilled work experience means that you’ve worked in one of the following National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:

  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

You may visit National Occupational Classification – Canada.ca (esdc.gc.ca) to determine the classification of your occupation.

Your work experience must be:

  • In the same field as the job you want to use for your immigration application (your primary position)
  • Within the last ten years
  • Paid work
  • At least one year of continuous work, or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week, or an equal amount in part-time employment)

Part-Time Work

You must be financially compensated for your skilled work experience. Volunteer work and unpaid internships do not qualify as part-time employment. You can work more or less than 15 hours/week, so long as it adds up to 1,560 hours, and you can work more than one job to accumulate hours.

Student Work Experience

Work experience gained as a student may count toward your minimum requirements as long as the work:

  • Is paid by wages or commission
  • Is continuous
  • Meets all other program prerequisites

Language Eligibility

To prove language ability, you must take an approved language test in either English or French for:

  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Speaking
  • Listening

You need a minimum score of 7 on the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) in all four abilities.


Individuals who went to school in Canada must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian high school or post-secondary institution. Those with a foreign education must provide:

  • A completed credential
  • An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

Proof of Funds

Lastly, you must ensure that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you are able to work legally in the country and have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

Opportunity lives in Canada. Contact David Akinmoluwa at +1-587-974-8942 or info@crestimmigration.ca to get the process started.

Share this...
Share on twitter
Share on facebook

Leave Comments