Welcome to visahub a immigration company

Talk to expert

+1 800 123 4567

Apply Now

Studying in Canada as a Minor: What You Need to Know

May 14, 2021BY Crest Immigration

For years, Canada has welcomed international students from across the globe. Whether you choose to study in one of our vibrant, bustling cities or settle into a tight-knit town, your experience will surely be one to remember. Are you curious about what the study permit application process looks like for a minor? We’ve got you covered!

Who is Considered a Minor?

Each province in Canada determines the age at which a person is recognized as a legal adult, commonly referred to as the age of majority. A person under this threshold is considered a “minor”.

The age of majority in the following provinces and territories is 18 years old:
• Alberta
• Manitoba
• Ontario
• Prince Edward Island
• Quebec
• Saskatchewan

Provinces and territories where the age of majority is 19 years old include:
• British Columbia
• New Brunswick
• Newfoundland and Labrador
• Northwest Territories
• Nova Scotia
• Nunavut
• Yukon

Caring for a Minor in Canada

A parent or legal guardian who intends to send their minor child to study in Canada must prove that the minor will receive the care and support needed during their stay in Canada. Students under the age of 17 must either come with a parent or legal guardian or have a custodian. A custodian is defined as a capable adult who is either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident tasked with caring for and supporting the minor. Custodians are optional for students 17 years or older, although an officer can request one depending on the nature of the situation. To designate a custodian, a Custodianship Declaration form must be submitted along with the minor’s study permit application.

Steps Before Entering Canada

Minors who wish to study in Canada must apply for a study permit before entering the country, including those who arrive with parents equipped with a valid study or work permit. Children and young adults with parents who have work or study permits are not required to provide a letter of acceptance from a school when applying for a study permit. Before your minor child travels to Canada, ensure that their designated learning institution is on the list of those with approved COVID-19 safety plans.

Minors Already in Canada

Minors situated in Canada should apply for a study permit, as some provinces or territories may request one for access to social services. Individuals below the age of majority may study in Canada without a permit if they:

• Are in kindergarten
• Wish to attend preschool, primary, or secondary school and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada
• Are refugees or refugee claimants
• Have parents who are refugees or refugee claimants
• Will complete a program or course within six months or less
• Are in Canada by themselves

Adventure awaits you in Canada! To apply for or extend your study permit, please contact David Akinmoluwa at +1-(587)-974-8942 or info@crestimmigration.ca.

Share this...
Share on twitter
Share on facebook