Ontario Provincial Nominee Program
Ontario is one of Canada’s most popular destinations for immigrants to settle down in. Through the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (ONIP), applicants can receive a provincial nomination, allowing them to apply for permanent residency.
The OINP has two immigration streams – base and enhanced. Enhanced streams correspond with the federal Express Entry system, which manages permanent residence applications through Canada’s three main economic class immigration programs.
The Express Entry system gives candidates a score based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The highest-ranking candidates are invited to apply for permanent residence. If an applicant has a nomination from an enhanced provincial program, they’ll receive an extra 600 points, virtually guaranteeing an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. On the other hand, base streams are not aligned with Express Entry; candidates apply directly to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Ontario's Immigration Streams
OINP applicants have three categories to choose from when immigrating to Ontario:
- Human Capital Category and the Masters or Ph.D. Category
- Employer Job Offer Category
- Business Category
Human Capital Category
The Human Capital Category is split into two sub-streams. The first stream, the Human Capital Category, is the Ontario Express Entry, which is enhanced. The other stream, the Masters and Ph.D. Category, is not aligned with Express Entry.
The programs below fall under the Human Capital Category sub-stream:
- Human Capital Priorities: includes the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Skilled Trades: for people with relevant work experience in an eligible trade occupation in Ontario
- French Speaking Skilled Worker: operates like the Human Capital Priorities program through FSWP and CEC, but applicants must have strong French and English language skills.
The following programs fall under the Masters and Ph.D. Category:
- Masters Graduate Stream: for people who obtained a Masters degree from a university in Ontario
- Ph.D. Graduate Stream: for people who received a Ph.D. from a university in Ontario
The programs under this stream are base streams and require applicants to create a profile and register an expression of interest (EOI) with Ontario’s Expression of Interest system.
Employer Job Offer Category
The programs below fall under the Employer Job Offer Category:
- Foreign worker stream: for skilled workers
- International students: for recent graduates of post-secondary institutions in Ontario
- In-demand skills stream: for intermediate skilled workers in sectors such as construction, agriculture, and trucking.
Candidates must intend to live in Ontario and have a full-time permanent job offer in an eligible occupation. They must also have work experience, a license or other authorization required to perform the job.
The Business Category is for applicants looking to start or buy an existing business in Ontario. There is only one program under this category: the Entrepreneur Stream.